The major goal of Basic Chemistry is to introduce students to the fundamental aspects of chemistry while broadening their appreciation for the applications of chemistry in their lives. This four week course is written for students in grades 9-12 and includes modules on properties of Matter, Measurement and the Mole, Atomic Structure, Nuclear Structure and Electrons, the Periodic Table and Chemical Reactions, and Bonding and Solutions. Students will complete virtual demonstrations and activities, view simulations and videos, listen to podcasts, conduct research and discuss concepts with their peers.
All course material is included within the online course. There is no need to purchase textbooks or material of any kind.
Please note if the student is taking this course for credit recovery, it is advised that you check with the student's school to confirm that the topics covered (see course syllabus) match those required by the school. You may also want to confirm with the school the process for receiving credits, which may involve an assessment administered separately by the school.
1. Use knowledge of chemistry to broaden understanding of aspects of their natural lives.
2. Analyze news articles and interpret implications of new scientific technology.
3. Use the web as a resource to improve scientific understanding.
4. Effectively communicate lab results and scientific information to their peers.
5. Perform basic laboratory activities and provide critical analysis of their results.
Science - Physical Science
7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Summer 17 Session 1, Summer 17 Session 2
Media Kit Shipped:
Media Kit Purchased:
MA NCES Code:
Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools, AdvancED