This course is written for students in grades 10-12. After successfully completing Personal Finance, you will be able to:
• analyze, manage, and monitor your saving and spending habits.
• identify your personal financial goals and determine ways to attain these goals.
• distinguish between gross and net income.
• compare and contrast among financial institutions.
• assess the importance of maintaining good credit.
• classify the different types of insurance and justify the purpose of having it.
• evaluate good investment opportunities.
• analyze future financial situations and apply the skills learned in Personal Finance in making wise and beneficial choices to live a secure and stable life.
All course material is included within the online course. There is no need to purchase textbooks or material of any kind.
This is a flexible instructor-led credit recovery Personal Finance course. Instructors regularly interact with students and provide assistance and feedback on work. This course covers a half year of Personal Finance concepts for credit recovery. Students may also take as many as fifteen weeks to complete the course.
Please note if the student is taking this course for credit recovery, it is advised that you check with the student's school to confirm that the topics covered (see course syllabus) match those required by the school. You may also want to confirm with the school the process for receiving credits, which may involve an assessment administered separately by the school.
The learner will:
- Evaluate financial decisions with basic money management principles.
- Understand the principle of budgeting small amounts in order to prepare for larger amounts.
- Explore various internet sites to help with financial management.
- Evaluate needs vs. wants in relation to available income.
- Determine short, medium, and long term goals.
- Understand five principles of saving.
- Compare banking options, banks, credit unions, commercial banks, savings and loan, and their various services.
- Understand how to use and not abuse credit.
- Manage risk with appropriate insurance.
- Explore investment opportunities.
7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Credit Recovery,High School
Media Kit Shipped:
Media Kit Purchased:
MA NCES Code: