This course focuses on the short story form and allows student writers to engage in a dialogue about their work in a safe environment. By reading short stories in a variety of literary genres, the student will develop a basic understanding of the short story form. Using this knowledge, the student will craft two short stories. Students will also visit sites that cater to short story publishing, editing and reviewing, as well as sites that provide creative resources for short story writing.
*This course may be appropriate for Gifted and Talented middle school students that meet all course prerequisites.*
The objectives of the course are:
• To develop an understanding of the short story form.
• To develop an understanding of various literary genres.
• To develop creative writing skills.
• To develop basic writing techniques such as brainstorming, drafting, and revision.
• To develop peer editing skills.
• To use technological resources such as the Internet to research information.
• To write original short stories.
Please note that this course contains an end-of-course proctored exam. Instructions for students to identify an appropriate adult proctor are included in the course lessons.
8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Gifted and Talented Middle School,High School
Media Kit Shipped:
Media Kit Purchased:
MA NCES Code:
AdvancED, Certified by NCAA for initial-eligibility (VHS School Code: 221356), Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools