This course will provide an opportunity for students to immerse themselves in the world of video game design and development. Participants will learn key programming constructs using GameMaker software (a robust, yet easy-to-use game creation tool). In addition, students will learn to use software to create original graphics and sound engineering software to create and edit sounds for their games. By the end of the course, students will have created a wide variety of video games. Each class will celebrate their accomplishments regularly, by sharing games with their peers for feedback and enjoyment.
The video game creation process has something for everyone. Students will have the opportunity to work independently and in development teams, where everyone will contribute based on their interest and expertise.
**Please Note: This course may not be appropriate for students with specific accessibility limitations as written. Please refer to the VHS Handbook policy on Special Education/Equity for more information on possible modifications. If you need additional assistance, please let us know at service.goVHS.org.
This course is an introductory-level class that does not require a background in computer programming. Students with an advanced level of game development or programming should understand this prior to enrolling in the course.
*This course may be appropriate for Gifted and Talented middle school students that meet all course prerequisites.*
By the conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
- Create a variety of games based on samples provided.
- Demonstrate an understanding of GameMaker terms.
- Demonstrate an understanding of general programming constructs.
- Incorporate existing resources.
- Create original resources.
- Create animated sprites.
- Incorporate user interaction.
- Incorporate automated movement of computer objects.
- Incorporate objects in your games and define a wide range of behaviors (events and actions).
- Develop multiple levels for games.
- Explore a choice of intermediate concepts.
- Incorporate scoring and winning/losing scenarios.
- Create original games including story line, characters, rules, levels and scoring.
Schools must install and allow student access to the resources listed here, in order for a student to participate in the course.
Please see the VHS Knowledge Base document How To Download and Install GameMaker Studio Standard
for directions and resources.
In addition to VHS system requirements:
Hardware used: PC running Windows OS (or, alternatively, Apple running Windows OS on a partitioned drive or through Virtual Machine software. Please consult your school Technology staff for assistance.)
Software used: (1) GameMaker Studio Standard; (2) Audacity audio editing software
Specific URLs accessed: multiple addresses at domains “yoyogames.com,” “youtube.com,” and “audacity.sourceforge.net.”