Mandarin Chinese Language and Culture introduces the essential elements of Chinese language for the novice who has had minimal exposure to the Chinese language and culture. Upon completion, the student will understand the basics of Chinese grammar, the origins of Chinese characters and their pronunciation. The course will also introduce the student to a broad range of topics in Chinese culture. Upon completion, the student will have an understanding of what makes Chinese culture unique, as well as differences and similarities between Chinese culture and the student’s native culture.
- Oral communication with use of basic expressions of everyday conversation at the beginning level.
- Students learn to speak with awareness of accurate pronunciation.
- Students will be able to introduce themselves, perform simple communicative tasks on familiar topics.
- Learning basic sentence structures, grammar and syntax to reinforce speaking abilities.
- Using Chinese word processing skills to facilitate the learning process.
Technology requirements: Students will need access to Power Point, Quick Time, and Real Player. This course requires students to have access to a computer with headphones, microphone, and software to record voice and save in WAV format. Students must also be able to download MP3 files to school computers. Instructions will be provided for Sound Recorder, used in Windows. Other software may be substituted, as long as it has the ability to record up to 2 minutes of voice in the WAV format. Students will also need to have the Chinese language bar installed and activated. This is a free function of Windows XP. Instructions are provided below. [You must make your computer Chinese-ready before the class begins! The following screencasts are provided to teach students how to type Chinese using a Roman alphabet keyboard. Students and Site Coordinators, please make sure any computers that your students will use for this course have Simplified characters loaded and working, and that students have tried out the tasks mentioned in the screencasts below. These instructions are for Word 2003 on Windows XP, and similar steps should be applicable for other versions. If you have any questions or need assistance with this setup, please submit a Service Ticket via service.goVHS.org.
- Loading the Chinese Language (Flash, 3Mb, 6 min) PDF Script
- Editing Chinese Characters in Word
- Working in Pinyin (Flash, 3.5Mb, 9 min) PDF Script
9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Media Kit Shipped:
Media Kit Purchased:
MA NCES Code:
AdvancED, Certified by NCAA for initial-eligibility (VHS School Code: 221356), Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools