The Government summer offering is written for students in grades 9-12 and will provide an overview of the major aspects of government that every American citizen should know. Students will become familiar with the major institutions, groups, and political beliefs in the American governmental system. A major focus will be on stimulating an interest and passion in the subject of government, with the idea of becoming an educated and involved civic citizen in an increasingly complex world.
All class materials and assignments are online so you do not have to lug a heavy backpack, pencils, or books to class. The course is just a mouse click away.
Please note, if the student is taking this course for credit recovery, it is advised that you check with the student's school to confirm that the topics covered match those required by the school. You may also want to confirm with the school the process for receiving credits, which may involve an assessment administered separately by the school.
- Learn about the history, structure, and function of the United States government.
- Understand how the Constitution embodies the purposes, values, and principles of democracy in the United States Government today.
- Develop a solid foundation of content knowledge, study skills, work habits, and collaborative skills for living in American society and for further study.
- Focus on the "Essential Questions” in each module that explore many well-known aspects of the United States government, including the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, Congress, the executive branch, the Supreme Court and political parties
- Examine several issues and topics that are not familiar, such as "the reciprocity of freedom and equality," and political parties that are not Democratic or Republican
- Start to develop political views and see the importance of being an effective citizen in a democratic society.
7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Summer 17 Session 2
Media Kit Shipped:
Media Kit Purchased:
MA NCES Code:
AdvancED, Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools, Summer Courses Certified by NCAA for Credit Recovery (VHS School Code: 221356)